Harpenden trio help Hertfordshire to runners-up spot in National County Cup
- Credit: Archant
The Hertfordshire Boys U10 tennis team last weekend achieved an astounding second place in the Aegon National Tennis U10 County Cup.
The team, which included three rising stars from Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club, Elliott Lowe, Freddie Simpson and James Styles, travelled up to the Sunderland Tennis Centre for the finals having won the regional qualifier in Norwich just three weeks ago.
The competition format included both singles and doubles matches and the competition at this level was fierce.
The boys played consistently well throughout their finals group matches, defeating Northumberland 6-2 on Friday, and both Avon and Hereford and Worcestershire by the same score on Saturday.
The Sunday play-off to determine first and second place saw the boys come up against an impressive Surrey team. Unable to find their rhythm, but nevertheless battling hard, the Herts team went down 8-0.
You may also want to watch:
Whilst disappointed by Sunday’s result, the boys’ exciting achievement in securing second place in the nation gives them huge encouragement for the future.
The Hertfordshire girls team were also in Sunderland and came away with a fifth place.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 4 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 5 Harpenden Food and Drink Festival returns after six years
- 6 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Area Guide: The quaint Hertfordshire village of Piccotts End
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
The squad, Hannah Read, Mafalda Almela Lozano, Erin Pearce and Alazne Hopwood, are all coached at the Batchwood Tennis Centre.