Win at Harpenden Town moves Biggleswade within touching dustance of SSML Premier Division title

Ryan Inskip scored Biggleswade's third goal at Harpenden Town.
Picture: Karyn Haddon

Ryan Inskip scored Biggleswade's third goal at Harpenden Town. Picture: Karyn Haddon - Credit: Archant

Harpenden Town were unable to stop Biggleswade from moving to within one win of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division title as the Bedfordshire side claimed a 3-0 victory at Rothamsted Park.

Goals from Abraham Eze, Tom Coles and Ryan Inskip put FC four points clear of Tring Athletic with just two games to go.

And they could wrap everything up when they go to Stofold on Saturday.

It was a deserved success which began on 18 minutes thanks to a lovely finish from Eze. He picked the ball up on the left-hand edge of the Harpenden box before curling the ball wide of Carl Tasker.

It may have been different had the hosts not spurned a glorious chance just one minute earlier.

Archie McClelland did fantastically well to skip along the byline past a number of defenders but his pullback to Charlie Gould was blazed high over the bar.

The rest of the half saw both teams become more and more frustrated with each other, themselves and the referee.

Most Read

Attacking moves tended to fizzle out at crucial moments and it meant chances were limited before the break.

Eze could have had a second right on the stroke of half-time but his unorthodox scooped shot went over Tasker but wide of the goal.

Harpenden did start slightly better immediately after the restart and McClelland almost created a glorious opening two minutes in.

Unfortunately the ball got trapped under his feet as he cut inside and the chance was gone.

Biggleswade then had a huge chance themselves but from roughly the same point as Gould’s miss, Alex Marsh’s effort went in the same upward trajectory.

The visitors did get a second shortly after though.

Tasker had made a fine save to deny Lawrie Marsh but from the resulting corner Coles’ header at the back post was simply guided back across goal and into the corner.

It should have been three on 64 minutes but somehow they couldn’t squeeze the ball home after an almighty scramble and a shot from close range that rebounded off the post.

It was only a temporary reprieve though and Inskip wrapped things up three minutes with a superb junking solo run and shot to the left of Tasker.

Harpenden finish the season with two more home games, the first against London Colney on Saturday.