SSML Premier Division: New-look Harpenden Town start with fantastic victory over Leighton Town
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town started the new Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division season with a brilliant 2-1 home win over Leighton Town – the side they beat to third place last year.
They have seen a number of their players depart for the higher level during the summer but the new-look Harps were in fabulous form.
Two returning players caught the eye. Jake Collins, back after three years at university, was assured in front of the back four, creating a platform for the team to move the ball through to star striker Harry Hunt, who missed the majority last season with injury.
It was Hunt who opened the scoring before the break, drawing the keeper and rolling the ball into the corner, and his flick-on from a Mike Davies throw gave Archie McClelland a debut goal with a header.
Matt Hall pulled one back five minutes from time but it was too little, too late to deny Harpenden the best possible start.
Much will be made of the attacking players but the defence also impressed.
Dan Weeks was solid on debut at left-back while Dwayne Duncan was his usual imperious self although this time he was almost outshone by 18-year-old Will McClelland alongside him.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 10 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
But With all of the changes to the team, manager Danny Plumb will be delighted that the players gelled so quickly and maintained the club’s excellent home league form.