SSML Premier Division: New-look Harpenden Town start with fantastic victory over Leighton Town
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town started the new Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division season with a brilliant 2-1 home win over Leighton Town – the side they beat to third place last year.
They have seen a number of their players depart for the higher level during the summer but the new-look Harps were in fabulous form.
Two returning players caught the eye. Jake Collins, back after three years at university, was assured in front of the back four, creating a platform for the team to move the ball through to star striker Harry Hunt, who missed the majority last season with injury.
It was Hunt who opened the scoring before the break, drawing the keeper and rolling the ball into the corner, and his flick-on from a Mike Davies throw gave Archie McClelland a debut goal with a header.
Matt Hall pulled one back five minutes from time but it was too little, too late to deny Harpenden the best possible start.
You may also want to watch:
Much will be made of the attacking players but the defence also impressed.
Dan Weeks was solid on debut at left-back while Dwayne Duncan was his usual imperious self although this time he was almost outshone by 18-year-old Will McClelland alongside him.
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
But With all of the changes to the team, manager Danny Plumb will be delighted that the players gelled so quickly and maintained the club’s excellent home league form.