Harpenden Town set for cup opener against Hoddesdon
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town burst back into action next week, opening their season against SSML Premier Division side Hoddesdon Town in the Herts FA Charity Shield.
It’s a mark of the club’s progress that it has been invited to play in both the Charity Cup against premier division sides as well as the FA Vase.
The clash with Hoddesdon kicks off at 7.45pm on Tuesday, August 4 in Rothamsted Park.
It will be the first chance for fans to see the new clubhouse which has had a £100,000 facelift while the new Kicks Cafe is expected to open to the public this weekend when Harpenden have a pre-season friendly against Sandridge Rovers.
Captain Jack Cartwright said: “There is a great atmosphere amongst the players and a huge buzz because we have a new clubhouse and young players coming through. We have our sights set on promotion this season and we now have the facilities to match our ambitions.”
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden finished sixth in the Spartan South Midlands League Division One last season.
The club’s first Saturday home game is not until August 15 against New Bradwell St Peter but Chairman Roman Motychak urged supporters to put the date in their diaries.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
“Please come along with your kids to cheer on your local team and check out the new clubhouse and cafe,” he said.