Harpenden Town set for cup opener against Hoddesdon
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town burst back into action next week, opening their season against SSML Premier Division side Hoddesdon Town in the Herts FA Charity Shield.
It’s a mark of the club’s progress that it has been invited to play in both the Charity Cup against premier division sides as well as the FA Vase.
The clash with Hoddesdon kicks off at 7.45pm on Tuesday, August 4 in Rothamsted Park.
It will be the first chance for fans to see the new clubhouse which has had a £100,000 facelift while the new Kicks Cafe is expected to open to the public this weekend when Harpenden have a pre-season friendly against Sandridge Rovers.
Captain Jack Cartwright said: “There is a great atmosphere amongst the players and a huge buzz because we have a new clubhouse and young players coming through. We have our sights set on promotion this season and we now have the facilities to match our ambitions.”
Harpenden finished sixth in the Spartan South Midlands League Division One last season.
The club’s first Saturday home game is not until August 15 against New Bradwell St Peter but Chairman Roman Motychak urged supporters to put the date in their diaries.
- 1 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 3 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 6 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 7 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 8 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 10 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
“Please come along with your kids to cheer on your local team and check out the new clubhouse and cafe,” he said.