Harpenden Town score four in opening-day win
- Credit: Archant
A flurry of second half goals gave Harpenden Town a win in their first league game of the season against Arlesey Town Reserves.
Harpenden, playing away from home, scored four in the second half to win 4-2 after going behind.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “This was a great start to the season because we had to use players out of position due to injuries. We had a back four with two new centre halves in Liam Kenna and Joel Watson who did really well and Mike Davies at right back was superb.
“We have got to concentrate on building our squad and that is my priority now.”
Harpenden had the best of the play in the first half and, after 33 minutes, centre forward Jimmy Hill got on the end of a cross and hit the right hand post. Then, a few minutes later, Ben Warren was through on goal and brought down inside the box but there was no whistle.
You may also want to watch:
On 40 minutes, Arlesey’s Jordan Leech-Levy picked up a long ball and slotted in the first goal from the left.
Two minutes into the second half, Harpenden’s Jimmy Hartley ran down the wing and beat the right back then crossed for Hill to side foot the ball past the keeper to draw level.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 8 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 9 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 10 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
Hartley then put Harpenden ahead with a goal from a tight angle.
Debutant Kenna added a third, rising highest to a corner, before Ed Frost made the game safe.
Arlesey’s scored their second in injury time but the points was already safe for Plumb’s side.
Harpenden are at home this Tuesday to Chesham United Reserves. Kick-off is 7.45pm at Rothamsted Park.