Harpenden Town score four in opening-day win
- Credit: Archant
A flurry of second half goals gave Harpenden Town a win in their first league game of the season against Arlesey Town Reserves.
Harpenden, playing away from home, scored four in the second half to win 4-2 after going behind.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “This was a great start to the season because we had to use players out of position due to injuries. We had a back four with two new centre halves in Liam Kenna and Joel Watson who did really well and Mike Davies at right back was superb.
“We have got to concentrate on building our squad and that is my priority now.”
Harpenden had the best of the play in the first half and, after 33 minutes, centre forward Jimmy Hill got on the end of a cross and hit the right hand post. Then, a few minutes later, Ben Warren was through on goal and brought down inside the box but there was no whistle.
On 40 minutes, Arlesey’s Jordan Leech-Levy picked up a long ball and slotted in the first goal from the left.
Two minutes into the second half, Harpenden’s Jimmy Hartley ran down the wing and beat the right back then crossed for Hill to side foot the ball past the keeper to draw level.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 4 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 5 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 8 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 9 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 10 Staying silent: the tight-lipped MP who refuses to answer controversial questions
Hartley then put Harpenden ahead with a goal from a tight angle.
Debutant Kenna added a third, rising highest to a corner, before Ed Frost made the game safe.
Arlesey’s scored their second in injury time but the points was already safe for Plumb’s side.
Harpenden are at home this Tuesday to Chesham United Reserves. Kick-off is 7.45pm at Rothamsted Park.