Harpenden Town roll a double six to leap up the table
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town made it six wins from the previous six league games to move fifth in the Spartan South Midlands League Division One – and they did in style with a 6-0 win over Arlesey Town Reserves.
It followed a 2-0 win at Bedford on Saturday when Sam James and Harry Hunt got the goals.
Against Arlesey, Harpenden’s goals came from six different players with Mike Davies, Kyle McLeish, Sam Jenkins, Phil Smeaton, Ben Warren and Hunt again, his ninth of the season, all on target.
It took two minutes for Harpenden to click into gear, Davies blasting home from a tight angle.
And three minutes later it was two with McLeish, who has moved up from the development squad, scoring with a shot that took a deflection.
After such a bright opening it was a surprise the next goal didn’t arrive until the second half, Jenkins converting at the back post from a free-kick.
Smeaton made it four on the hour and Hunt made it five with an audacious overhead kick.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 4 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
- 5 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 6 Return of the Fred Hughes delights runners and organisers St Albans Striders alike
- 7 Landowners advised to step up security following spike in fly-tipping across Hertfordshire
- 8 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 9 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 10 St Albans leisure centre launches self-defence classes for girls as young as 12
Warren completed the scoring in injury time.
Chairman Roman Motyczak said: “It’s a great result but at the end of the day it is still just three points in a long season and we have to keep our feet on the ground.
“It was great to see six different players including those from the development squad getting on the score sheet.”
Harpenden are next in action on Saturday when they travel to Buckingham Athletic.