Harpenden Town roll a double six to leap up the table
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town made it six wins from the previous six league games to move fifth in the Spartan South Midlands League Division One – and they did in style with a 6-0 win over Arlesey Town Reserves.
It followed a 2-0 win at Bedford on Saturday when Sam James and Harry Hunt got the goals.
Against Arlesey, Harpenden’s goals came from six different players with Mike Davies, Kyle McLeish, Sam Jenkins, Phil Smeaton, Ben Warren and Hunt again, his ninth of the season, all on target.
It took two minutes for Harpenden to click into gear, Davies blasting home from a tight angle.
And three minutes later it was two with McLeish, who has moved up from the development squad, scoring with a shot that took a deflection.
You may also want to watch:
After such a bright opening it was a surprise the next goal didn’t arrive until the second half, Jenkins converting at the back post from a free-kick.
Smeaton made it four on the hour and Hunt made it five with an audacious overhead kick.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans
Warren completed the scoring in injury time.
Chairman Roman Motyczak said: “It’s a great result but at the end of the day it is still just three points in a long season and we have to keep our feet on the ground.
“It was great to see six different players including those from the development squad getting on the score sheet.”
Harpenden are next in action on Saturday when they travel to Buckingham Athletic.