Harpenden Town keep tight hold on top spot after Brimsdown battering
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town’s grip at the top of Spartan South Midlands League Division One tightened after a 6-0 thumping of bottom club Brimsdown.
It means their lead has stretched to five points although second-placed Baldock Town do have four games in hand.
This victory came courtesy of two from Harry Hunt and Sam Jenkins plus one each for Sam James and Ben Warren.
It was their fifth league win this year by six or more and follows on from last week’s 7-1 drubbing of Arlesey Town Reserves.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “This was not the toughest team we have played but it was very pleasing to score six and get a clean sheet.
You may also want to watch:
“We have tougher games to come but it’s all positive and I am really happy for the players.”
Harpenden had a sluggish start by their standards, with a Warren effort that hit the post on 15 minutes the closest they came.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 3 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 7 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 8 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
However, they had better luck four minutes later. Warren was again involved and when he was brought down controlling a long ball forward and Hunt coolly converted the penalty.
Warren got himself a deserved goal on 30 minutes, smashing home after James had intercepted a pass.
James then got the third 10 minutes into the second half from 25 yards and Hunt made it four when Brimsdown’s defence again let them down.
Right-back Jenkins finished off the day, heading in from a corner before shimmying around the keeper on a one-on-one.
Harpenden are away to Codicote in the Division One Cup tonight (Tuesday) before a run of four home games to finish off 2016.
It starts with the visit of Bedford to Rothamsted Park on Saturday and is followed by Kensington Borough on December 3, Harefield United (December 17) and Hatfield Town (December 27).
Chairman Roman Motyczak said: “I hope the people of Harpenden can come out and join us in the run-up to Christmas to celebrate this fabulous run of success.”
Supporters attending the Harefield United game will be given a free mince pie.