Harpenden Town held by Welwyn but Reserves show Sun Postal tough Love

James Hill’s late goal rescued Harpenden Town a point at Welwyn GC on Saturday

SSML Division One

Welwyn Garden City 2 Harpenden Town 2

AFTER their first defeat in the league away to Bedford on Tuesday, Bob Fowler was looking for a positive response from his players against Welwyn Garden City on Saturday.

Town started the brighter with good chances falling to top scorer Hill and also to Mark Hitchcock. The City ‘keeper made an impressive block to deny Hill again to keep the scores level.

Against the run of play Welwyn scored with a rebounded effort after a fine save by Jake McClean.

Town continued to press and scored a deserved equaliser when Hitchcock rifled a shot into the roof of the net to send the teams in level at the break.

Most Read

The second half started like the first with Town missing some clear chances to take the lead and Garden City capitalised again from a rebound to go 2 - 1 up.

After a long stoppage in play after a serious injury to the young Welwyn goalkeeper, Joe Croft, Fowler changed formation to search for an equaliser and it duly came from the head of James Hill which earned the visitors a deserved point.

Fowler was left to rue two dropped points he felt.

He said: “We were not clinical enough today and almost paid the price. I was pleased with Jack Coombs on his debut and also with Jake McClean who looks a good ‘keeper.”

* Town Reserves were keen to keep there unbeaten league record intact and despite losing four players to the first team still fielded a strong team.

However the first 10 minutes were even, and it looked like Sun Postal were going to give Town their first tough game. However the deadlock was broken after 14 minutes when a Simon Beazle inch perfect free kick was met by in form Centre Back James Dobinson who headed home.

Town extended the lead 10 minutes from another set piece when Ben Warren blasted home from a well worked corner. Sun postal pulled one back from a poorly defended corner to make it 2-1 to Town at Half time. Town started the second half much brighter and completely dominated the second half and looked like scoring at will. Town’s Third goal was a 20-yard free kick which Stuart Love fired home superbly.

Town’s fourth came with 20 minutes remaining after some lovely flowing football started by Dion Brown and finished by the goal-machine James Hardy.

Town finished the rout with 10 minutes remaining and it was fitting that Love scored the best goal of the game, when he beat two defenders then curled a sweet shot from 25 yards in to the top corner.

Coach Steve fox was delighted with the 5-1 and said: “It was credit to the players and the hard work they have put in recently.”

Town Reserves face a much sterner test this Saturday at home to Ampthill, KO 3pm – your local and vocal support is greatly appreciated.

Team: Searing, Hamer, Dixey, Chugg, Dobinson, Poole (Brown 65) Hardy (d Ring 78), Marshall, Beazle (N Ring 62), Love, Warren.