Late Will McClelland goal hands Harpenden Town three valuable points against Leverstock Green
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town moved further away from the dreaded Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division drop zone with a battling 1-0 home win over Leverstock Green.
William McClelland got the only goal of a game, a towering header from a right-wing corner with just one minute of the 90 to go.
It was a match-up that could have gone either way with both teams having chances and both goalkeepers.
In fact a stunning stop from Carl Tasker in stoppage time preserved the precious three points that sees them remain 16th in the table but extend their gap to Cockfosters in the final relegation place to 11 points with 13 games still top play.
The closest Town had come to scoring earlier in the game had been a shot from James Yates that had come off the bar.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden had included former old boy and St Albans City stalwart Ben Martin in the back four.
Martin is currently at Royston Town and in need of minutes after coming back from injury.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 5 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire