Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division
Ollie Lawford 10, Ethan Mooney 12, Rawn Seale 65
Mulik Rickman 3, Jimmy Hartley 37, Ryan Plowright 85, 90
Harpenden storm to the top of the table after seven-goal thriller
- Credit: KARYN HADDON
A last-gasp winner in a seven-goal thriller sent Harpenden Town roaring to the top of the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division.
The 4-3 success at Leverstock Green was only secured in added time at the end of the game, skipper Ryan Plowright pouncing for his second after a ball back into the box.
The result means Harps are one point clear of their hosts after playing three games.
The action started early with Mulik Rickman opening the scoring in the third minute with a long-range effort.
The tide soon changed though with the home side bagging two quick goals but the fast and furious first-half would end all square, a well-worked team goal ending in a simple finish from Jimmy Hartley from the centre of box.
Both teams returned to the field after half-time with the hunger for victory still very much evident but as a result of this, the game became scrappy and heated in the midfield with a number of fouls being penalised.
But it was sloppy defending that brought the next goal, Harpenden punished by a third from the hosts which for the next 15 minutes looked like being the winner.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 4 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 7 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 8 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 9 St Albans hockey player still going strong at 80
- 10 Herts, camera, action! Turning film fantasy into reality with new screen tourism development programme
But with time running out, the visitors suddenly stepped things up and found an equaliser.
It came from a fantastic delivery from out wide, finding Plowright's head perfectly, and it spurred Harpenden to push for a winner.
And they were rewarded right at the death, a ball into the box from the right found its way right across the middle and out to the left.
However, when it was returned, there was Plowright to tuck it away inside the near post and shoot his side to the division's summit.