Harpenden Town go third with big away win
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town surged to third in the league on Saturday with their seventh win in a row beating Buckingham Athletic 4-2 away.
It was a really entertaining game despite the Harps falling behind twice before putting the match beyond doubt in the second half.
Buckingham went ahead through a Robbie Carter shot into the top corner.
Mike Davies equalised on 41 minutes when Sam Jenkins on an overlap crossed and Davies steered it into the net.
But just a minute later Carter scored again when he picked up a header and shot home for a 2-1 lead at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden really had the best of the first half with nine shots on target however all but the goal were fired straight at the Bucks keeper.
Harpenden drew level on 51 minutes when Davies pounced on a defender inside the box, won the ball, and then selflessly slid the ball sideways to Sam James who was wide open and shot into the corner.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 St Albans City over bad start says Chris Winton as improved results and performances continue against Havant
Davies from right midfield had a great game running on constantly to pick up long balls to launch attacks and played a part in the next goal.
From midfield he hit Jenkins who had sprinted on an overlap. He was tackled but won back the ball and placed it into the corner for 3-2.
Finally on 83 minutes Harpenden won a corner and central defender Tom Collin raced in to power home a header.
Assistant manager Michael Jones said: “The lads dug in really well for the victory.
“In the first half we started slowly although I think we still had the best of it but in the second the players all worked for one another and got the result.
“I am really pleased and that’s now seven wins in a row.”
Town have climbed to third in the Spartan South Midlands League Division One and are at home to Chesham United Reserves at 3pm on Saturday before facing Winslow United, again at home, next Tuesday.