Harpenden Town given a wake up call
Harpenden suffer shock Centenary Trophy exit
Herts Senior Centenary Trophy
Mill End 2 Harpenden Town 1
HARPENDEN Town were dumped out of the Herts Centenary Trophy on Saturday after a poor showing at Mill End.
Manager Bob Fowler took the decision to make changes to his team for the cup trip and it backfired with the County Premier side deserving to progress to the next round.
Fowler said: “It was a game that on paper we should have won, but anyone who has played the game will know that football isn’t always like that and the players didn’t get going at all today.
“There are no excuses with so many players having an off day but ultimately it was my decision and I will hold my hands up.”
- 1 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 2 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary
- 3 Video shows thief stealing parcel from St Albans home doorstep
- 4 Primary school rated 'Good' in latest Ofsted report
- 5 Honest truths spilled in Saints dressing room after humbling FA Trophy defeat to Cheshunt
- 6 St Albans Local Plan delayed to autumn 2025
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 This is Harpenden: faces of town's residents feature in new exhibition
- 9 St Albans' Rachel Andrews stars alongside James Nesbitt and Eddie Izzard in new Netflix series Stay Close
- 10 After another near miss, crossing desperately needed outside St Albans school
The hosts went ahead with a cross that sailed over the head of helpless ‘keeper Jake McClean but Town replied almost immediately with a good finish by Mark Hitchcock.
Mill End restored their lead late on in the first half when poor marking left the home side’s number nine to volley in at the far post.
Town tried to pull it back in the second half but without really threatening the home ‘keeper and it was left Fowler to rue: “I am trying to find some positives but it is difficult. I thought Connor Maher had a good debut for an under 18 player and Adam Smith got another 30 minutes on his way back from injury but overall it was a poor day for us, but I wish Mill End luck in the next round. We have to try and draw a line under it and move onto Welwyn Garden City on Wednesday.”