Harpenden Town chairman Roman Motyczak pays tribute to 'inimitable' Wynn Owens
- Credit: DANNY LOO
One man would have been immensely proud to see Harpenden Town sitting top of the table according to chairman Roman Motyczak - president Wynn Owens.
The familiar figure at Rothamsted Park died on August 8 and his funeral was well attended by those wishing to pay their respects.
Motyczak said: "Wynn has been involved at Harpenden Town for over 30 years and had become a well-known figure around the Spartan South Midlands Football League.
"He was a longstanding member of the committee and had been president of the club since 2010.
"During his 30 years he was very good at involving others in the club and was a familiar figure around Harpenden.
"He regularly supported the team home and away and his inimitable style was well known in many boardrooms.
"On sunny days Wynn could be found sitting on a tractor cutting the pitch or extracting money from spectators at the turnstile on a matchday or entertaining the visiting team committee.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 3 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 6 Shortages crisis hits district
- 7 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 8 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 9 St Albans Food and Drink Festival returns at last!
- 10 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
"Due to health issues he had not been able to attend games for the last two years but we are sure he would be proud of the current team as we play our 130th anniversary season.
"Wynn Owens - gone but not forgotten."