Harpenden Town erase cup heartache with good win over Winslow
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town got back to winning ways with a 2-0 win over Winslow United on Tuesday night.
They came into the game with the heartache of Saturday’s Herts Senior Centenary Trophy semi-final defeat to Bishop’s Sortford Swifts still fresh in their minds.
And that may have gone some way to explain why this Spartan South Midlands League Division One clash ended goal-less at the end of the first half with neither side able to muster many shots on target.
But Harpenden were on top right from the restart with 20 minutes of constant pressure when they fired in six shots from outside the box which all went close.
Finally that pressure told after 65 minutes when Alex Yearwood on the left wing picked up the ball, moved inside and floated a ball with the outside of his left foot into the corner of the net.
Winslow attacked for 15 minutes but could not beat Harpenden’s well organised defence led by captain Tony Golder.
And with 10 minutes to go the hosts made it two.
- 1 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 4 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 5 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
- 9 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 10 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
Jimmy Warner flicked on a Yearwood corner to the feet of Harry Hunt, who hit the ball first-time beyond the keeper.
Harpenden boss Danny Plumb said: “I am happy we kept a clean sheet.
“It was good to get some fresh players on the pitch and they all did well so it was pleasing to see strength in numbers.
“Bring on Saturday.”
That game sees Harpenden host Southall with a 3pm kick-off.