Harpenden Town erase cup heartache with good win over Winslow
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town got back to winning ways with a 2-0 win over Winslow United on Tuesday night.
They came into the game with the heartache of Saturday’s Herts Senior Centenary Trophy semi-final defeat to Bishop’s Sortford Swifts still fresh in their minds.
And that may have gone some way to explain why this Spartan South Midlands League Division One clash ended goal-less at the end of the first half with neither side able to muster many shots on target.
But Harpenden were on top right from the restart with 20 minutes of constant pressure when they fired in six shots from outside the box which all went close.
Finally that pressure told after 65 minutes when Alex Yearwood on the left wing picked up the ball, moved inside and floated a ball with the outside of his left foot into the corner of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Winslow attacked for 15 minutes but could not beat Harpenden’s well organised defence led by captain Tony Golder.
And with 10 minutes to go the hosts made it two.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 4 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 9 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
Jimmy Warner flicked on a Yearwood corner to the feet of Harry Hunt, who hit the ball first-time beyond the keeper.
Harpenden boss Danny Plumb said: “I am happy we kept a clean sheet.
“It was good to get some fresh players on the pitch and they all did well so it was pleasing to see strength in numbers.
“Bring on Saturday.”
That game sees Harpenden host Southall with a 3pm kick-off.