Harpenden take top outcome
HARPENDEN Swimming Club reaffirmed their position in the top flight of the Hertfordshire Swimming Peanuts League on Saturday night. The club fielded a weakened team due to illness and holidays but showed their strength in depth to take third place on the
HARPENDEN Swimming Club reaffirmed their position in the top flight of the Hertfordshire Swimming Peanuts League on Saturday night.
The club fielded a weakened team due to illness and holidays but showed their strength in depth to take third place on the night which meant they finished eighth overall.
Tania De Malglaive and Harry Hughes, both aged 10, got the club off to a tremendous start, winning the first two races of the evening (both 25m freestyle) and followed it up by both taking first place later in the evening in the 25m backstroke.
Michael Revell chipped in with a brace in the 25m fly and breaststroke races, whilst Abby West took first place in her 25m breaststroke.
You may also want to watch:
During the day on Saturday some of the older swimmers were in action at Aylesbury in the Bletchley Open Meet. From 44 individual swims they came back with 31 medals including 16 golds. Luke Barber stole the show for the club with four golds and four personal bests. Other gold medallists were Harriet Cook, Eric Baker, James Harper, Izzy Thompson, Ellen Crick and Eddie Cook. Georgie Smith took two silver medals and Katie Harper recorded two massive PBs, taking 6.73s off her 100m breaststroke (1:59.86) and 5.73s off her 100m individual medley (1:50.00).
Club Communications Officer, Bryan Thompson, said: "The last two years have seen tremendous improvements in performance in the club. With the swim21 Skill Development accreditation as well, these are exciting times for the club and we are sure there is even more to come."
- 1 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 2 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 3 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 4 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 5 Shortages crisis hits district
- 6 Magic Johnson keeps St Albans City in the FA Cup at Concord Rangers
- 7 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25
Telephone 07767 683956 or visit the website www.harpendensc.co.uk for more information about Harpenden Swimming Club.