Harpenden survive two red cards in draw with Buckingham
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town pulled off a miracle survival act by drawing away from home with Buckingham Athletic on Saturday after having two players sent off.
Town kept a clean sheet when down to nine men and had to be pleased with a gritty 0-0 draw to keep them seventh in the league.
Harpenden started strongly and could have been in front after a series of strikes on target.
But the game turned to comic tragedy after 30 minutes when players fell to the ground and Harpenden’s striker Jimmy Warner jokingly kicked his opponent on the backside. The ref didn’t see the funny side and immediately went for his red card.
Town survived the pressure with 10 men for 50 minutes but then suffered a double blow as Warren Plowright was sent off for two yellow cards. Despite that Jamil Harvey came close to winning the game with a great shot and the match ended with a goalless draw.
You may also want to watch:
Diplomatically, Manager Danny Plumb said:”We didn’t get the decisions going for us all day. For the first time ever I went to see the ref afterwards and I met him in a polite way but I felt hard done by.
“So coming away with a clean sheet and a draw being down to nine men was a small victory for us and I was proud that the team held it together.”
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
Harpenden are back in action tonight, when they take on Arlesey Town Reserves at Rothamsted Park, kick-off 7.45pm.