Harpenden survive two red cards in draw with Buckingham
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town pulled off a miracle survival act by drawing away from home with Buckingham Athletic on Saturday after having two players sent off.
Town kept a clean sheet when down to nine men and had to be pleased with a gritty 0-0 draw to keep them seventh in the league.
Harpenden started strongly and could have been in front after a series of strikes on target.
But the game turned to comic tragedy after 30 minutes when players fell to the ground and Harpenden’s striker Jimmy Warner jokingly kicked his opponent on the backside. The ref didn’t see the funny side and immediately went for his red card.
Town survived the pressure with 10 men for 50 minutes but then suffered a double blow as Warren Plowright was sent off for two yellow cards. Despite that Jamil Harvey came close to winning the game with a great shot and the match ended with a goalless draw.
You may also want to watch:
Diplomatically, Manager Danny Plumb said:”We didn’t get the decisions going for us all day. For the first time ever I went to see the ref afterwards and I met him in a polite way but I felt hard done by.
“So coming away with a clean sheet and a draw being down to nine men was a small victory for us and I was proud that the team held it together.”
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 3 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 4 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 5 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 6 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 7 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 8 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills
Harpenden are back in action tonight, when they take on Arlesey Town Reserves at Rothamsted Park, kick-off 7.45pm.