Harpenden stun Wapping
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden produced a stunning team performance to defeat East Division Two South leaders Wapping.
The 2-0 score was the Londoners first defeat of the league campaign and only Harpenden’s third success.
Both goals, scored by Danny Burgess and Olly Edmond, came inside the last 10 minutes.
Burgess rifled in the first after being teed up from a short-corner by Andrew Salveson and, with Wapping’s goalkeeper pulled for an extra attacker, Edmond pounced after a goalmouth scramble.
For the majority of the game defences had been on top.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden had worked cohesively to prevent the Wapping attack from gaining momentum and opportunities with the leaders periodically exerting similar pressure.
Space down the flanks proved to be where Harpenden found most joy, the win lifting them into eighth.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public