Harpenden stun league leaders with a marvelous win
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town showed they were no pushovers as they powered to a brilliant 4-2 home win over league leaders Risborough Rangers.
The victory, the third league win in a row for Harps, sees the side climb up the Spartan South Midlands League Division One to eighth spot in the table.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “It was a good result and we now need to get consistency in our performance and results.
“It is good to pull a string of wins together and move up the table. We need to build on that now and continue the progress.”
However, things didn’t get off to the best start when a Risborough cross sailed past everyone into the corner of the net.
You may also want to watch:
At the other end Mike Davies was unlucky when his header was saved by the Rangers keeper from point blank range.
In the second half Ben Warren was pushed over in the box and took the penalty himself to score in the corner.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 6 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
Then Town went ahead 2-1 with a beautifully worked solo effort from Sam James who brought the ball in from the right, beating several players, then cooly chipping over the keeper from inside the box.
Risborough drew level when a corner took a deflection and went straight in the net but the home side went ahead again, likewise from a corner.
Taken by James, Matt Sutton headed into the top corner over the keeper from 15 yards out.
And Harpenden clinched the win in added time when Charlie Gould picked up a goal kick, controlled the ball with one touch, and ran through to blast a rocket into the net from 30 yards.
It was a marvellous goal to end a marvelous win for Harpenden.
Thier next game is on Tuesday at Harefield United, which is followed by another away match, this time at Hatfield Town on Saturday October 8.