Harpenden Seniors turn up the heat at home tournament
- Credit: Archant
The recent hot weather failed to wilt the performances of Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club’s seniors as they walked away with six titles athe their own Senior’s Tournament.
Drawing 75 competitors predominantly from Hertfordshire and the surrounding counties, the tournament was fiercely contested.
Matches were played over three days and for the men included six age groups for the singles and four age groups for the doubles.
The ladies competition included just two age groups in the singles and one in the doubles.
Harpenden’s Norman Church took the 70+ title, while fellow club-member Graham Downes triumphed in the 75+ category, coming through in a nail-bitingly close tie-break.
You may also want to watch:
The Doubles competition was dominated by Harpenden.
Thomas Parsons and Andrew Soul won the 60+ title, Norman Church and Terry Mabbitt took the 70+ crown and John Barnett and Richard Rowlandson were victorious in the 75+ category.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
In the Ladies competition HLTC member Joy Allsopp won the 50+ category, coming through the first set in the Finals on a tie-break before sweeping to victory with a 6-1 second set.