Harpenden Seniors turn up the heat at home tournament
- Credit: Archant
The recent hot weather failed to wilt the performances of Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club’s seniors as they walked away with six titles athe their own Senior’s Tournament.
Drawing 75 competitors predominantly from Hertfordshire and the surrounding counties, the tournament was fiercely contested.
Matches were played over three days and for the men included six age groups for the singles and four age groups for the doubles.
The ladies competition included just two age groups in the singles and one in the doubles.
Harpenden’s Norman Church took the 70+ title, while fellow club-member Graham Downes triumphed in the 75+ category, coming through in a nail-bitingly close tie-break.
The Doubles competition was dominated by Harpenden.
Thomas Parsons and Andrew Soul won the 60+ title, Norman Church and Terry Mabbitt took the 70+ crown and John Barnett and Richard Rowlandson were victorious in the 75+ category.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 4 US star George Clooney spotted directing new film in Hertfordshire
- 5 Taxi stopped with ‘tyre below legal tread depth’ on A41
- 6 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 7 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 10 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
In the Ladies competition HLTC member Joy Allsopp won the 50+ category, coming through the first set in the Finals on a tie-break before sweeping to victory with a 6-1 second set.