Harpenden Seniors turn up the heat at home tournament
- Credit: Archant
The recent hot weather failed to wilt the performances of Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club’s seniors as they walked away with six titles athe their own Senior’s Tournament.
Drawing 75 competitors predominantly from Hertfordshire and the surrounding counties, the tournament was fiercely contested.
Matches were played over three days and for the men included six age groups for the singles and four age groups for the doubles.
The ladies competition included just two age groups in the singles and one in the doubles.
Harpenden’s Norman Church took the 70+ title, while fellow club-member Graham Downes triumphed in the 75+ category, coming through in a nail-bitingly close tie-break.
You may also want to watch:
The Doubles competition was dominated by Harpenden.
Thomas Parsons and Andrew Soul won the 60+ title, Norman Church and Terry Mabbitt took the 70+ crown and John Barnett and Richard Rowlandson were victorious in the 75+ category.
- 1 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 2 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 9 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead
- 10 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
In the Ladies competition HLTC member Joy Allsopp won the 50+ category, coming through the first set in the Finals on a tie-break before sweeping to victory with a 6-1 second set.