Harpenden see of Welwyn
Town progress in Centenary Trophy
HARPENDEN Town overcame local rivals Welwyn Garden City to progress in the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy on Saturday.
The home side started brightest but had to wait until the stroke of half-time for the opening goal that was netted by Mark Hitchcock.
The visitors upped their game after the break but never really tested Matt Lord in the Town goal and Ryan Thompson’s side made them pay as Dominic Hinds grabbed the second goal on the hour.
Welwyn were handed a route back into the tie when they were awarded a penalty for a foul of Luke Gleave. Ade Osobu converted the spot kick despite the best attempts of Lord.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden restored their two goal lead just 10 minutes later when Matt Day pounced on hesitancy in the visitors’ defence to net.
A goal from Gleave threatened to make it a nervy final few minutes for Town but the pressure was relieved when Hinds grabbed his second of the contest.
- 1 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 2 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 6 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 7 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 8 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
- 9 Alban Arena launches annual pantomime with Strictly Come Dancing star
- 10 A New York state of mind
Town are at home to Sun Postal Sports this Saturday.