Harpenden see of Welwyn
Town progress in Centenary Trophy
HARPENDEN Town overcame local rivals Welwyn Garden City to progress in the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy on Saturday.
The home side started brightest but had to wait until the stroke of half-time for the opening goal that was netted by Mark Hitchcock.
The visitors upped their game after the break but never really tested Matt Lord in the Town goal and Ryan Thompson’s side made them pay as Dominic Hinds grabbed the second goal on the hour.
Welwyn were handed a route back into the tie when they were awarded a penalty for a foul of Luke Gleave. Ade Osobu converted the spot kick despite the best attempts of Lord.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden restored their two goal lead just 10 minutes later when Matt Day pounced on hesitancy in the visitors’ defence to net.
A goal from Gleave threatened to make it a nervy final few minutes for Town but the pressure was relieved when Hinds grabbed his second of the contest.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 9 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
- 10 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
Town are at home to Sun Postal Sports this Saturday.