Harpenden see of Welwyn
Town progress in Centenary Trophy
HARPENDEN Town overcame local rivals Welwyn Garden City to progress in the Herts Senior Centenary Trophy on Saturday.
The home side started brightest but had to wait until the stroke of half-time for the opening goal that was netted by Mark Hitchcock.
The visitors upped their game after the break but never really tested Matt Lord in the Town goal and Ryan Thompson’s side made them pay as Dominic Hinds grabbed the second goal on the hour.
Welwyn were handed a route back into the tie when they were awarded a penalty for a foul of Luke Gleave. Ade Osobu converted the spot kick despite the best attempts of Lord.
Harpenden restored their two goal lead just 10 minutes later when Matt Day pounced on hesitancy in the visitors’ defence to net.
A goal from Gleave threatened to make it a nervy final few minutes for Town but the pressure was relieved when Hinds grabbed his second of the contest.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 8 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
Town are at home to Sun Postal Sports this Saturday.