Singer hits the right note as Harpenden seal late win over Colchester
- Credit: Archant
A late goal from James Singer earned Harpenden a vital 2-1 win at home to Colchester in East League Division Two South.
The hockey club, who are playing at Queenswood School in Brookmans Park while their Woollams home is being used by St Albans School, are up to fifth in the division and this result continues their fine form.
The first half finished goalless although Colchester kept Andy King busy in the Harpenden goal with more chances.
But Harpenden were much more incisive in the second half, finally making use of their better possession.
One attack saw Reece Baker-Kiff converted a penalty corner and Callum West was unlucky not to add to that at the back post.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden did gift Colchester an equaliser with a quarter of the game to go but Singer’s deft touch from a Harry Kneale put them ahead for the second and final time.
They travel to Felixstowe on Saturday, who sit two places below them in the table.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 5 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 7 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 10 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public