Harpenden’s St Dominic’s School win girls football tournament under watchful Arsenal eyes
- Credit: Archant
St Dominic’s Primary School of Harpenden have won the HDSA Girls Football Tournament for the first time.
To celebrate the National Girls Football Week campaign, The Grove Junior School in Harpenden hosted the annual tournament.
Over 140 players from 13 schools competed under the watchful eye of Arsenal Ladies Football Team manager Pedro Martinez Losa and two international players, Arsenal Ladies captain and England’s Alex Scott, and Scotland’s Emma Mitchell.
Arsenal’s mascot, Gunnersaurus, refereed some of the games much to the delight of the participating squads.
Both semi-finals turned out to be nail-biting thrillers with St Dominic’s winning through against High Beeches to face the hosts.
You may also want to watch:
Neither side could unlock the other’s defence in the final until the final few minutes when St Dominic’s made the all-important breakthrough.
After the competition Arsenal Ladies tweeted about their fab afternoon: “Great to be involved – thanks for joining us to show support for #GirlsFootballWeek.”
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 4 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 5 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 6 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 7 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 10 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?