Harpenden’s St Dominic’s School win girls football tournament under watchful Arsenal eyes
- Credit: Archant
St Dominic’s Primary School of Harpenden have won the HDSA Girls Football Tournament for the first time.
To celebrate the National Girls Football Week campaign, The Grove Junior School in Harpenden hosted the annual tournament.
Over 140 players from 13 schools competed under the watchful eye of Arsenal Ladies Football Team manager Pedro Martinez Losa and two international players, Arsenal Ladies captain and England’s Alex Scott, and Scotland’s Emma Mitchell.
Arsenal’s mascot, Gunnersaurus, refereed some of the games much to the delight of the participating squads.
Both semi-finals turned out to be nail-biting thrillers with St Dominic’s winning through against High Beeches to face the hosts.
You may also want to watch:
Neither side could unlock the other’s defence in the final until the final few minutes when St Dominic’s made the all-important breakthrough.
After the competition Arsenal Ladies tweeted about their fab afternoon: “Great to be involved – thanks for joining us to show support for #GirlsFootballWeek.”
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 4 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 5 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 6 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 8 St Albans violent crime: Recreational drug users 'feeding' County Lines
- 9 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe