Winchester and Sambrook’s heroics not enough for Harpenden’s second string against Knebworth Park
- Credit: Picture: DANNY LOO
A stand of 108 between Nick Winchester and Josh Sambrook was not enough to bring the win for Harpenden seconds at home to Knebworth Park in SHCL Division One.
With Harps’ second string struggling at 77-6 in response to the visitors’ 251-9, the duo played a clever innings to drag them closer to their target.
But when the pairing was finally broken with a smart run-out of Winchester (26) by keeper Tariq Umair and the bowling of Sambrook, after a 65-ball 67, by Gareth Jones, Harpenden’s hopes perished and they finished on 211.
The first innings had seen Park start like an express train but Harpenden’s bowlers managed to slow them down, moving them for a commanding 158-3 to a worrying 211-9.
Adam Winchester, who got 37 with the bat, was the pick of the bowling attack, claiming 5-31.
John Card weighed in with two wickets and Nick Winchester and Nick Reeves managed one each.
- 1 Property Spotlight: See inside this stunning £2.1m period home in St Albans
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 4 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 5 Where and when can you see Santa's float in Harpenden?
- 6 St Albans MP unveils new state-of-the art teaching centre as part of multi-million pound Oaklands College redevelopment
- 7 Saints get another National League South rival after draw for FA Trophy
- 8 Sing out for Christmas with Clarence Park carol service
- 9 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 10 1,000 new homes planned next to village