Harpenden’s revival continues at Hertford
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Hockey Club’s men’s 1sts recorded their second successive win on Saturday as their East League Division 2S revival continued.
Following last week’s 3-2 win over Potters Bar - their first win in three months - Harps beat Hertford by the same scoreline in a relegation six-pointer. The three points moved Harpenden out of the drop zone, while pushing Hertford further away from safety.
Scrapping for their league status, Hertford had the perfect start as they converted their first short corner of the game. Harpenden are in the same boat, though, and Andy Salvesen produced an individual piece of skill to beat two defenders, round the goalkeeper and score.
A second quickly followed as Danny Burgess set up Lance Boyd-Clarke to sweep home from close range. The first-half scoring was not done as Hertford pulled level.
After an even first period, the second was one-way traffic as Harps laid siege to Hertford’s goal. Mike Bowler was denied on three occasions, as were Salvesen and Ali Barrett. The were rewarded for their enterprise when Burgess converted a short-corner from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden travel to Letchworth on Saturday, with the hosts already relegated having failed to win a game this season.
- 1 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 2 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 3 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 4 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 5 Row over new barriers blocking path for wheelchair users
- 6 District's COVID cases fall below England's average for first time in a month
- 7 St Albans named among Britain’s hottest property markets
- 8 Row over charges for garden waste continues
- 9 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 10 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes