Harpenden’s revival continues at Hertford
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Hockey Club’s men’s 1sts recorded their second successive win on Saturday as their East League Division 2S revival continued.
Following last week’s 3-2 win over Potters Bar - their first win in three months - Harps beat Hertford by the same scoreline in a relegation six-pointer. The three points moved Harpenden out of the drop zone, while pushing Hertford further away from safety.
Scrapping for their league status, Hertford had the perfect start as they converted their first short corner of the game. Harpenden are in the same boat, though, and Andy Salvesen produced an individual piece of skill to beat two defenders, round the goalkeeper and score.
A second quickly followed as Danny Burgess set up Lance Boyd-Clarke to sweep home from close range. The first-half scoring was not done as Hertford pulled level.
After an even first period, the second was one-way traffic as Harps laid siege to Hertford’s goal. Mike Bowler was denied on three occasions, as were Salvesen and Ali Barrett. The were rewarded for their enterprise when Burgess converted a short-corner from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden travel to Letchworth on Saturday, with the hosts already relegated having failed to win a game this season.
- 1 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 2 Property Spotlight: A penthouse apartment at St Albans' Gabriel Square
- 3 Village's first scarecrow trail raises £700 for school
- 4 Schoolgirl donates hair to Little Princess Trust
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 7 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 8 Have your say on St Stephen Neighbourhood Plan
- 9 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 10 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?