Harpenden’s revival continues at Hertford
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Hockey Club’s men’s 1sts recorded their second successive win on Saturday as their East League Division 2S revival continued.
Following last week’s 3-2 win over Potters Bar - their first win in three months - Harps beat Hertford by the same scoreline in a relegation six-pointer. The three points moved Harpenden out of the drop zone, while pushing Hertford further away from safety.
Scrapping for their league status, Hertford had the perfect start as they converted their first short corner of the game. Harpenden are in the same boat, though, and Andy Salvesen produced an individual piece of skill to beat two defenders, round the goalkeeper and score.
A second quickly followed as Danny Burgess set up Lance Boyd-Clarke to sweep home from close range. The first-half scoring was not done as Hertford pulled level.
After an even first period, the second was one-way traffic as Harps laid siege to Hertford’s goal. Mike Bowler was denied on three occasions, as were Salvesen and Ali Barrett. The were rewarded for their enterprise when Burgess converted a short-corner from close range.
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden travel to Letchworth on Saturday, with the hosts already relegated having failed to win a game this season.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 7 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development