Harpenden Rugby Club have promotion play-off place ripped away in bizarre circumstances hours after celebrating on the pitch
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Rugby Club are considering their options after having their London North Two promotion play-off place taken away from them.
The Redbourn Lane side knew that a bonus-point success over their main rivals Hampstead on Saturday, while at the same time denying them two bonus points, would hand them another game at the very least.
And after a 39-31 win they opened the champagne, safe in the knowledge they had secured a play-off against Sudbury.
However, it now seems that the RFU have discovered Harps were awarded a bonus point earlier this season in error and with the removal of that, Hampstead climb above them courtesy of more wins over the course of the year.
It is not known yet why the error wasn’t found until after the final game and Harpenden have yet to issue a statement but it is believed that an appeal could be one course of action.
You may also want to watch:
HAC took the title, and the automatic promotion spot, by a point following their 53-28 win over Hemel Hempstead.
- 1 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 2 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 3 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 4 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 5 Harpenden retailers call on county to end town centre road closures
- 6 Freedom Day delay is a financial blow to local businesses
- 7 It's showtime at Rothamsted with West End stars performing in 'Musicals at the Manor'
- 8 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 9 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 10 Quarantine hotel set up in St Albans