Harpenden Rugby Club have promotion play-off place ripped away in bizarre circumstances hours after celebrating on the pitch
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Rugby Club are considering their options after having their London North Two promotion play-off place taken away from them.
The Redbourn Lane side knew that a bonus-point success over their main rivals Hampstead on Saturday, while at the same time denying them two bonus points, would hand them another game at the very least.
And after a 39-31 win they opened the champagne, safe in the knowledge they had secured a play-off against Sudbury.
However, it now seems that the RFU have discovered Harps were awarded a bonus point earlier this season in error and with the removal of that, Hampstead climb above them courtesy of more wins over the course of the year.
It is not known yet why the error wasn’t found until after the final game and Harpenden have yet to issue a statement but it is believed that an appeal could be one course of action.
You may also want to watch:
HAC took the title, and the automatic promotion spot, by a point following their 53-28 win over Hemel Hempstead.
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 3 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 4 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 5 Restaurant delivers food to households self-isolating due to Covid
- 6 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 7 St Albans City game at Dulwich Hamlet postponed due to positive test in Londoners' squad
- 8 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 9 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 10 Yellow warning for rain in Herts as Storm Christoph approaches