Harpenden Rugby Club have promotion play-off place ripped away in bizarre circumstances hours after celebrating on the pitch
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Rugby Club are considering their options after having their London North Two promotion play-off place taken away from them.
The Redbourn Lane side knew that a bonus-point success over their main rivals Hampstead on Saturday, while at the same time denying them two bonus points, would hand them another game at the very least.
And after a 39-31 win they opened the champagne, safe in the knowledge they had secured a play-off against Sudbury.
However, it now seems that the RFU have discovered Harps were awarded a bonus point earlier this season in error and with the removal of that, Hampstead climb above them courtesy of more wins over the course of the year.
It is not known yet why the error wasn’t found until after the final game and Harpenden have yet to issue a statement but it is believed that an appeal could be one course of action.
HAC took the title, and the automatic promotion spot, by a point following their 53-28 win over Hemel Hempstead.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival