Harpenden Rugby Club have promotion play-off place ripped away in bizarre circumstances hours after celebrating on the pitch
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Rugby Club are considering their options after having their London North Two promotion play-off place taken away from them.
The Redbourn Lane side knew that a bonus-point success over their main rivals Hampstead on Saturday, while at the same time denying them two bonus points, would hand them another game at the very least.
And after a 39-31 win they opened the champagne, safe in the knowledge they had secured a play-off against Sudbury.
However, it now seems that the RFU have discovered Harps were awarded a bonus point earlier this season in error and with the removal of that, Hampstead climb above them courtesy of more wins over the course of the year.
It is not known yet why the error wasn’t found until after the final game and Harpenden have yet to issue a statement but it is believed that an appeal could be one course of action.
You may also want to watch:
HAC took the title, and the automatic promotion spot, by a point following their 53-28 win over Hemel Hempstead.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters