Harpenden Rovers hit six to put Rangers to Bed
Herts Senior County League Division One Harpenden Rovers 6 Bedwell Rangers FC 1 THE first game of the new season for Harpenden Rovers was at home to Bedwell Rangers, and it was also Rovers first game in the Herts County League for almost 14 years.
Herts Senior County League Division One
Harpenden Rovers 6 Bedwell Rangers FC 1
THE first game of the new season for Harpenden Rovers was at home to Bedwell Rangers, and it was also Rovers first game in the Herts County League for almost 14 years.
With the pitch in great condition, Rovers were hoping to impress with some flowing attractive football.
You may also want to watch:
The crowd did not have to wait to long as on 15 minutes, Ally Watson scored at great individual goal beating three players before firing the ball into the top corner from 25 yards.
Before the interval, Rovers made turned their dominance into goals as Graham Golds and Ollie Poole finished off great moves for a 3-0 lead.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 6 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 7 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 8 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 9 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 10 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
After the break, Bedwell started brightly and enjoyed a 10 minute spell when they looked sharper. Harpenden goalkeeper John Gregory was called into action to make a great one-on-one save.
Bedwell pulled one back but Rovers responded almost immediately with Man of the Match James Dobinson, outstanding at the back, carrying the ball 40 yards and then unleashing a thunderbolt shot from 35 yards into the top corner.
With the three goal lead established again Rovers took complete control of the game and substitute Chris Jenkinson finished off a neat move. The goal of the game came from skipper Matt Chugg who finished off a move which started from a pass from the 'keeper John Gregory with every player touching the ball, and then the excellent James Peacock squared it for Chugg to finish off. Rovers now entertain Sarrett at home on Thursday night and are expecting a more testing challenge.