Harpenden ready to host Pub 7s
RUGBY UNION: HARPENDEN’S National Pub 7s event kicks off again for the 45th year this Sunday, August 29.
HARPENDEN’S National Pub 7s event kicks off again for the 45 year this Sunday, August 29.
As ever this years event will be include exceptional sides in the Elite competition providing high quality rugby for the spectators. The impressive list of winners over recent years has included Young England and The Army plus regulars such Samouri and the White Hart Marauders as well as last years winners, Saracens.
This year will be of no exception with the inclusion of the mystery ‘Team Nike’ entering organised by England’s 7s coach Ben Ryan.
The whole day is based around teams of all levels competing in three competitions, apart from the Elite competition there are the Barrel and its Plate competition for grass roots, and not so grass roots, sides. �2500 in prize money is up for grabs in the Elite competition plus they will be the initial winners of the David Singleton Cup. David, as so many people know, with his wife Jo, ran Billys bar and Restaurant in Harpenden and Barneys in St. Albans. David was a staunch supporter of Harpenden Rugby Club as well as rugby generally and his sad death this year was a tragic shock.
You may also want to watch:
Barrel and Plate winners will each receive trophies and a barrel of beer, thanks to the regular support of Tring Brewery.
Before the days of professionalism, in its glory days ‘The 7s’ attracted sides from all over the country and could genuinely be called international
- 1 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's sought after East Common
- 6 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 7 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 8 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 9 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 10 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
each year would see a several internationals playing and the longevity of the competition owes much to the late Reg Johnson of the Cross Keys Pub in Harpenden, whose idea it was and to Mike Park.
Games start at 10.30 and there is still room for a few last minute entries just go to nationalpubsevens.com or contact Tony Johnstone on 07973341557.
Another top class day is promised for players and spectators alike with easy onsite parking, barbecue, hog roast, bars, bands and stalls.