Harpenden ready for kick off
HARPENDEN hockey players kick off the new season this Saturday keen to build on the tremendous success of last term, with trials for the men and a series of friendlies for the ladies. With five of the eight adult teams securing promotion last season
HARPENDEN hockey players kick off the new season this Saturday keen to build on the tremendous success of last term, with trials for the men and a series of friendlies for the ladies.
With five of the eight adult teams securing promotion last season and the club's junior section flourishing, new men's club captain Fraser Tant said: "It's a great time to be involved. The men's seconds have secured promotion to the challenging Division Two, while the newly created fifth team comprising colts and veterans also won promotion, giving the youngsters some great experience of men's hockey."
The only real disappointment was the relegation of the first team after three successive promotions but Tant remains confident that the side will bounce straight back.
The ladies were even more successful, with all three sides moving up a level for the coming season. The firsts won their league and will now play in Division One, the highest they have ever been, while the seconds won their second successive promotion and the thirds were unbeaten all season. Ladies club captain Rosemary White said: "Last year was terrific and we're hoping for even better things this season."
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile the club's junior section continues to go from strength to strength with over 150 members aged from seven to 18 training and playing every Sunday morning at Woollams sports ground. The club has Under 11s, Under 13s, Under 15s and Under 18s teams in the Herts Junior Hockey Leagues and all teams have performed very well.
A record number of Juniors are playing for the county in their year teams. Players keen to take part in the trials and pre-season friendlies should see www.harpendenhockeyclub.co.uk for more information about the club.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 6 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 7 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 8 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 9 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 10 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots