Harpenden off the top after dramatic end to Belsize Park clash
- Credit: Archant
A try deep into stoppage time consigned Harpenden to a 23-20 loss to Belsize Park – and with it leadership of London North West Two.
It was their second defeat in three games but that didn’t look the case on 78 minutes as skipper Oli Lacey was driven over the line for a 20-16 lead.
They then only had to hold on to the ball from the restart to see out the game but gave away possession and, after a seemingly endless series of penalties, Park sealed the result at the death through Jack Newman.
Lacey said: “Belsize Park are a good side and deserved to win. We always knew this would be a very close game but unfortunately discipline was a problem for us as we gave away far too many penalties.
“We’ve now got two weeks to regroup before we travel to London Nigerian for what will be another key game.”
You may also want to watch:
Luke Barber Jimmy Speirs got the other tries with Ollie Mann landing a penalty and conversion.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 5 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 9 Invincible London Colney youngsters complete incredible first season
- 10 St Albans Striders enjoy comfort of their home roads if not the heat and hills