Harpenden off the top after dramatic end to Belsize Park clash
- Credit: Archant
A try deep into stoppage time consigned Harpenden to a 23-20 loss to Belsize Park – and with it leadership of London North West Two.
It was their second defeat in three games but that didn’t look the case on 78 minutes as skipper Oli Lacey was driven over the line for a 20-16 lead.
They then only had to hold on to the ball from the restart to see out the game but gave away possession and, after a seemingly endless series of penalties, Park sealed the result at the death through Jack Newman.
Lacey said: “Belsize Park are a good side and deserved to win. We always knew this would be a very close game but unfortunately discipline was a problem for us as we gave away far too many penalties.
“We’ve now got two weeks to regroup before we travel to London Nigerian for what will be another key game.”
You may also want to watch:
Luke Barber Jimmy Speirs got the other tries with Ollie Mann landing a penalty and conversion.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 4 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Nightmare return for Joe Newton as own-goal gives St Albans City victory over Havant
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development