Harpenden Netball Club copy Team England success at Commonwealth Games by clinching league title
- Credit: Archant
Team England’s dramatic last-second victory over Australia to win gold was arguably one of the highlights of the Commonwealth Games – but back in Hertfordshire another team was celebrating winning a title.
Harpenden Netball Club took the Hertfordshire County Division One crown with a 54-20 win over Hertford Heath Rangers.
And they did it with two games to spare, having only lost one match all season.
They will now go on to represent Hertfordshire at the East Regional Play-off Tournament, to be held at Stanborough School in WGC on Sunday, May 13.
Captain Sarah Basford said: “It is such a fantastic achievement and I am incredibly proud of the entire squad.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to thank all of our umpires, scorers and supports for their incredible contribution to our success.”
The firsts are one of four teams run by the popular club.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 10 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre