Harpenden Netball Club copy Team England success at Commonwealth Games by clinching league title
- Credit: Archant
Team England’s dramatic last-second victory over Australia to win gold was arguably one of the highlights of the Commonwealth Games – but back in Hertfordshire another team was celebrating winning a title.
Harpenden Netball Club took the Hertfordshire County Division One crown with a 54-20 win over Hertford Heath Rangers.
And they did it with two games to spare, having only lost one match all season.
They will now go on to represent Hertfordshire at the East Regional Play-off Tournament, to be held at Stanborough School in WGC on Sunday, May 13.
Captain Sarah Basford said: “It is such a fantastic achievement and I am incredibly proud of the entire squad.
You may also want to watch:
“I would like to thank all of our umpires, scorers and supports for their incredible contribution to our success.”
The firsts are one of four teams run by the popular club.
- 1 St Albans school teacher recognised with national award
- 2 Market gazebo trial delayed as council admits it cannot fund scheme
- 3 Home-owners' frustration over lack of action to tackle street flooding
- 4 Pupils pause to play at St Albans primary school
- 5 Motorists who kill cats should be prosecuted, says St Albans family after pet's death
- 6 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 7 Twice the yumminess from St Albans baking company
- 8 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 9 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 10 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land