Harpenden medal spree
Harpenden took a strong squad to Borehamwood on Sunday to compete in the Hoddesdon Open Meet. The club swimmers returned with 63 medals and recorded 22 county qualification standard times. Daniel Campfield, aged 9, recorded county qualifying times
Harpenden took a strong squad to Borehamwood on Sunday to compete in the Hoddesdon Open Meet.
The club swimmers returned with 63 medals and recorded 22 county qualification standard times.
Daniel Campfield, aged 9, recorded county qualifying times for 200m backstroke, 50m backstroke, 200m freestyle and 50m free and took gold in the 200m breaststroke in a time of 3:57.21.
Josh Duggan, aged 11, swam tremendously to record county times for 200m backstroke, 50m butterfly and 200m freestyle, while 10-year-old Holly Howell recorded a county time for her 50m freestyle.
You may also want to watch:
Amongst the medallists, Izzy Thompson, aged 13, claimed the best haul with three golds and two silvers.
Eric Baker, aged 17, and James Harper, aged 14, both collected three golds and a silver.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 9 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
Several of the clubs newer swimmers also performed well with Eleanor Lavender collecting a bronze, silver and gold from her three races and Ellie Clarbour collecting a silver for her 50m breastsroke coming in at 54.84 to smash her personal best.
The performances are encouraging given that this was the first meet they have attended since the summer break and show good promise for the months to come leading up to county championships in March next year.
For more details about Harpenden Swimming Club, telephone 07767 683956or visit the Harpenden website at www.harpendensc.co.uk
The Club remain keen to recruit competitive swimmers at all levels.