Harpenden all at sea as they suffer a heavy defeat at Southend
- Credit: DANNY LOO
It was a bad day at the office for Harpenden as they fell to a heavy 53-22 defeat at Southend Saxons.
They shipped eight tries in the process and the result ended a run of two successive victories as well as dropping them down to eighth in London One North.
The positive though was they did manage to get a four-try bonus point as Hamish Renwick, Matt Deane, Ed Preston and Michael Goode all crossed the line.
Tom Sweeney was able to add one conversion to these but they were up against it for the moment Ben Lloyd kicked Southend into a 3-0 lead after just three minutes.
Sweeney had to produce a try-saving tackle to stop one home score and they got to half-time just 15-7 in arrears.
You may also want to watch:
But the floodgates opened in the second half and as well as losing Billy Sach to injury, they also had to endure 10 minutes with a man less following a yellow card for Deane.
They do have the chance for a quick response though when winless Ruislip visit Redbourn Lane on Saturday.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 8 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 9 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 10 New vicar comes to Harpenden church