Harpenden all at sea as they suffer a heavy defeat at Southend
- Credit: DANNY LOO
It was a bad day at the office for Harpenden as they fell to a heavy 53-22 defeat at Southend Saxons.
They shipped eight tries in the process and the result ended a run of two successive victories as well as dropping them down to eighth in London One North.
The positive though was they did manage to get a four-try bonus point as Hamish Renwick, Matt Deane, Ed Preston and Michael Goode all crossed the line.
Tom Sweeney was able to add one conversion to these but they were up against it for the moment Ben Lloyd kicked Southend into a 3-0 lead after just three minutes.
Sweeney had to produce a try-saving tackle to stop one home score and they got to half-time just 15-7 in arrears.
You may also want to watch:
But the floodgates opened in the second half and as well as losing Billy Sach to injury, they also had to endure 10 minutes with a man less following a yellow card for Deane.
They do have the chance for a quick response though when winless Ruislip visit Redbourn Lane on Saturday.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 All you need to know about St Albans Cathedral's Alban Pilgrimage this year
- 3 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 4 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 5 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 6 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 7 Harpenden constituency to go under proposed boundary changes
- 8 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
- 9 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 10 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style