Harpenden let two-goal lead slip against league leaders Edgware
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town held table-topping Edgware Town to a 2-2 draw – but will be thinking that this was one that got away.
They had raced into a two-goal lead after 30 minutes thanks to strikes from the dynamic duo, Harry Hunt and Jimmy Hill.
However, Edgware showed why they are heading for the title with a resilient fightback.
Harpenden boss Danny Plumb said: “It was a good performance matching the best team in the league.
“I was disappointed that we couldn’t hold on for a win but the draw was probably a fair result.
“I was happy with our commitment but now we need to do it week in, week out especially as we have several games with top sides in the run-in.”
Harpenden started with real purpose and after 12 minutes a loose ball on the edge of the box was picked up by Hunt and volleyed in off the right post.
- 1 Is this the future of hospitality in St Albans?
- 2 Teen punched in face and stomach during robbery
- 3 Bank cards stolen from elderly woman
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 What next for Alban Arena and city centre culture?
- 6 IN PICTURES: Alban Pilgrimage returns to city
- 7 St Albans Beer and Cider Festival set to return after two years
- 8 Fight to save village Green Belt from development
- 9 10 reasons to visit this sustainable, family-owned farm shop in St Albans
- 10 Remembering 'Mr Harpenden' - the indomitable Michael Weaver
One became two on the half hour when Ben Warren crossed for Jimmy Hill to flick up and score his own volley over the head of keeper.
And he almost made it three a matter of minutes later but his shot from a tight angle hit the post and trickled across the goal before being cleared.
Edgware’s recovery started just before the break when Oluwamayowa Balogun reacted quickest after Town keeper Jake McClean had made a full-stretch save.
And the left-back scored an almost identical goal for the equaliser, firing home from another goalmouth clearance.
Town, who remain fifth in the Spartan South Midlands League Division One, are away on Saturday to Wodson Park.