Players rise to the occasion as Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club host their club championship
- Credit: Archant
After months of lockdown there were finally reasons to be happy and smile at Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club.
The Amenbury Lane-based club held both its junior and senior championships with a total of 28 finals were held, ranging from U10s to the men’s over-65 doubles.
There was no spectators or party but the players still rose to the occasion with some great matches.
It took a third-set tie-break for David Wates and Damian Taylor to beat club coaches David Lawlor and Jamie Cotton with Wates going on to win the singles by beating Freddie Simpson.
The 14-year-old did lift a trophy later in the day though winning the U18 title.
You may also want to watch:
Other star performers included Emily Arbuthnot and Rosie Carr who defeated Gill Brown and Monica Becerra in the doubles.
Carr claimed two titles, also beating 12-year-old Arabella Loftus in the ladies’ final before Loftus recovered to clinch the U18 category.
- 1 CCTV appeal after £100,000 worth of vehicles destroyed in arson attack
- 2 What to expect with pupils heading back to the classroom
- 3 Residents' misery after disruption on former Butterfly World site
- 4 Special report: An insight into dog theft in Hertfordshire
- 5 Tributes paid following death of 'warm and polite' Redbourn councillor
- 6 St Albans' COVID cases decline considerably as roadmap out of lockdown announced
- 7 Blooming Burnham flower tributes 'spread love not lurgies'
- 8 Harpenden receives high praise from Health Secretary over vaccine
- 9 The latest court results from the St Albans area
- 10 Renewed promises made across three generations of Herts guides