Players rise to the occasion as Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club host their club championship
- Credit: Archant
After months of lockdown there were finally reasons to be happy and smile at Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club.
The Amenbury Lane-based club held both its junior and senior championships with a total of 28 finals were held, ranging from U10s to the men’s over-65 doubles.
There was no spectators or party but the players still rose to the occasion with some great matches.
It took a third-set tie-break for David Wates and Damian Taylor to beat club coaches David Lawlor and Jamie Cotton with Wates going on to win the singles by beating Freddie Simpson.
The 14-year-old did lift a trophy later in the day though winning the U18 title.
You may also want to watch:
Other star performers included Emily Arbuthnot and Rosie Carr who defeated Gill Brown and Monica Becerra in the doubles.
Carr claimed two titles, also beating 12-year-old Arabella Loftus in the ladies’ final before Loftus recovered to clinch the U18 category.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire