Players rise to the occasion as Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club host their club championship
- Credit: Archant
After months of lockdown there were finally reasons to be happy and smile at Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club.
The Amenbury Lane-based club held both its junior and senior championships with a total of 28 finals were held, ranging from U10s to the men’s over-65 doubles.
There was no spectators or party but the players still rose to the occasion with some great matches.
It took a third-set tie-break for David Wates and Damian Taylor to beat club coaches David Lawlor and Jamie Cotton with Wates going on to win the singles by beating Freddie Simpson.
The 14-year-old did lift a trophy later in the day though winning the U18 title.
Other star performers included Emily Arbuthnot and Rosie Carr who defeated Gill Brown and Monica Becerra in the doubles.
Carr claimed two titles, also beating 12-year-old Arabella Loftus in the ladies’ final before Loftus recovered to clinch the U18 category.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 3 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 4 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 5 Property Spotlight: See inside this stunning £2.1m period home in St Albans
- 6 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 7 Batchwood Golf Course to be redesigned after houses hit by balls
- 8 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 9 Future of Harpenden Public Halls site revealed
- 10 Saints get another National League South rival after draw for FA Trophy