Harpenden ladies scoop bronze in European Tennis tournament
- Credit: Getty Images/Comstock Images
A team from Harpenden Lawn Tennis Club has enjoyed medal success in a major European tournament.
The Harpenden Ladies 40 plus team represented the UK in the European Senior Club championship, eventually coming away with the bronze medal.
The team, consisting of captain Gill Brown, Bridie Amos, Monica Becerra and Miranda Hosking, had reached the finals, held at the LaManga club in Spain, after winning the UK National 40 plus club knockout competition last month.
This was the first time the team had made this stage but they showed no signs of nerves, progressing from the first group stage without losing a match, beating the Dutch, German and Belgian teams, all 3-0.
That success took them into a finals group with the other two group winners, Charmatin from Madrid and Polo from Barcelona.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately these teams proved too much for Harpenden although Hosking and Amos narrowly missed out on winning one of the doubles matches, while Brown pushed the 40 plus world champion all the way, before losing in two sets.
- 1 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 4 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 5 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall