Harpenden Ladies are up to scratch
HARPENDEN Ladies Scratch Team won the Ovaltine Cup at South Herts Golf Club last month. In the morning semi finals, the holders Bishop s Stortford beat East Herts and Harpenden beat Moor Park. Although Harpenden wrapped up victory by winning the first
HARPENDEN Ladies Scratch Team won the Ovaltine Cup at South Herts Golf Club last month.
In the morning semi finals, the holders Bishop's Stortford beat East Herts and Harpenden beat Moor Park. Although Harpenden wrapped up victory by winning the first three of the five matches there was some late drama as Charlie Field claimed her match on the 19th hole. Alison Franklin and Cathy Gosling also won their matches, meaning the other two matches were called in with Harpenden in an unassailable 3-0 lead.
In the afternoon final, Harpenden beat Bishop's Stortford by winning their first three games. Victory was completed just in time as, after the last putt on the 18th green was holed, thunder and lightning struck and very soon the green was under water.
Captain Anne Spurr was delighted with the victory. She said: "It was a wonderful performance. They played very well. We have been unbeaten throughout the whole competition. We had a period in the 1990s when we won it quite a lot but this is the first time we have won it for 10 years and I hope we will be able to defend it next year."
You may also want to watch:
Harpenden Ladies Scratch Team: Alison Franklin, Charlie Field, Rhona Duncan, Jeanne Moffat and Cathy Gosling, club lady captain Anne Spurr.
- 1 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 4 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 5 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 6 London Colney in 'a good place' as they look for a season of redemption
- 7 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 8 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden