Mean Harpenden keep pace with the leaders after solid Witham success
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden kept their noses in the promotion-chasing pack in East League Division Two South with a 2-0 win over basement side Witham.
Reece Baker-Kiff was again on the scoresheet with another deadly drag flick from a penalty corner and there was one for Todd Baines 15 minutes from time, a thunderous finish from a fine run.
But it is the other end of the field which is proving to be just as reliable, with the Woollams-based hockey club boasting the second meanest defence in the division.
Goalkeeper Andy King was heavily involved in this one too as Witham belied their lowly position with a number of good chances.
Dave Falk was named man of the match after another strong and committed performance in midfield while Ali Barrett and Rob Ward had solid games at the back.
The result leaves them in fifth, level on points who East London who Harpenden visit on Saturday.
- 1 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 2 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 3 From St Albans to the Australian outback for The Tourist's Shalom Brune-Franklin in BBC One series
- 4 Careers advice for St Albans children in centuries gone by
- 5 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 6 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 7 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 8 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 9 Ian Allinson praises 'unbelievable shift' of St Albans City players against Maidstone
- 10 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival