Mean Harpenden keep pace with the leaders after solid Witham success
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden kept their noses in the promotion-chasing pack in East League Division Two South with a 2-0 win over basement side Witham.
Reece Baker-Kiff was again on the scoresheet with another deadly drag flick from a penalty corner and there was one for Todd Baines 15 minutes from time, a thunderous finish from a fine run.
But it is the other end of the field which is proving to be just as reliable, with the Woollams-based hockey club boasting the second meanest defence in the division.
Goalkeeper Andy King was heavily involved in this one too as Witham belied their lowly position with a number of good chances.
Dave Falk was named man of the match after another strong and committed performance in midfield while Ali Barrett and Rob Ward had solid games at the back.
You may also want to watch:
The result leaves them in fifth, level on points who East London who Harpenden visit on Saturday.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 4 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 5 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 6 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 7 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 8 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 9 Former Coventry City junior Joe Newton has eyes on a return to the professional game
- 10 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans