Harpenden II dig in for draw
Sprowson defence earns Harps a draw
SHL Division Two
Harpenden II 153-9
You may also want to watch:
HARPENDEN II travelled to a windswept Dunstable and allowed the home side to score too many runs, having asked them to bat first in less than perfect cricketing conditions.
The match lacked quality in general as Dunstable’s 203-8 in their 53 overs proved too much for an inexperienced Harpenden top order.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 4 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 5 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 6 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 7 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 8 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 9 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 10 Help reunite toy milk jug with new owner
At 98-2 and with Mark Fettes (46 in 82) and Mike Howard (32 in 41) going well there were some hopes of an exciting finish but a good one-handed catch, an awkward stumping and a string of poor shots left ‘keeper Graeme Sprowson (17* in 29) to hold Dunstable at bay for whatever low bonus points were on offer.
Skipper Darwin (19-3-64-4) said: “I wanted to make a statement today and decided that it was the right time to go all out for the win by asking Dunstable to bat first.
“We didn’t create sufficient pressure and allowed them to get too many. We can also field a lot better as we showed last week.
“In the second half we got off to a slow start which put us up against it as the required rate increased against some disciplined bowling.
“I backed us to do well but we didn’t perform on the day.”