Late goal denies Harpenden a superb come-from-behind win at fortress Wapping
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Hockey Club almost produced a stunning comeback away to Wapping before being pegged back to a 3-3 draw.
The hosts have turned their Lee Valley National Hockey Centre base into something of a fortress and this was only the second time someone has taken points off them at home this year.
That looked unlikely when they conceded two first-half goals from penalty corners but Mark Hoefield halved the deficit before the break with a deflection following good work on the right.
Some stirring words at half-time from coach David Thomas spurred the visitors to up their game even further and two quick-fire goals of their own, firstly from a Todd Baines penalty corner and then a close-range effort from Nick McLean put them ahead.
A red card for dissent issued to the home side increased their hopes but with almost the final play Wapping struck from another penalty corner.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Nash had the last chance for Harpenden but his shot was saved and the game ended tied.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests