Harpenden Hockey Club end of season awards
HARPENDEN hockey club celebrated another successful season at their annual Awards Dinner on Saturday. With five of the eight adult teams securing promotion and the club s Junior Programme flourishing
HARPENDEN hockey club celebrated another successful season at their annual Awards Dinner on Saturday.
With five of the eight adult teams securing promotion and the club's Junior Programme flourishing, club captain Paul Nash said: "The men's seconds have secured promotion to the challenging Division Two, while the newly created fifth team comprising colts and veterans also won promotion while giving the youngsters some great experience of adult hockey."
The only real disappointment was the relegation of the first team, after three successive promotions, but Nash remains confident that the side will have learned a great deal and will bounce straight back.
The ladies have been even more successful, with all three sides moving up a level next year. The first team won their league and will now play in Division One, the highest they have ever been, while the seconds won their second successive promotion and the thirds went unbeaten all season.
You may also want to watch:
The club junior section continues to blossom with more than 150 members and four teams performing well in the Herts Junior Hockey Leagues. A record number of Harpenden youngsters are playing in the county sides.
In a tough year for his side, Todd Baines shone above all and walked away with the coveted first team Player of the Year, while skipper Jac Clark took the honours for the ladies Firsts. The Juniors of the Year were Alex Beggs and Julia Burnell. Club captain Rosemary White said: "Those two have really bright futures here, that is for sure."
- 1 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 2 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 3 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 4 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 5 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 6 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Carillon Chamber Choir's farewell concert in St Albans
Harpenden Award winners 2007/08
Player of the Year
Mens 1: Todd Baines
Mens 2: Ben Turner
Mens 3: Adam Cole
Ladies 1: Jac Clark
Ladies 2: Jenny White
Ladies 3: Lucy Clark
Men: Alex Radgman
Ladies: Karen Lincoln
Team of the Year: Unbeaten Ladies 3