Harpenden heap more misery on struggling Letchworth 2nds

PUBLISHED: 16:35 21 October 2014 | UPDATED: 16:35 21 October 2014

Matt Evans attempts a shot under heavy pressure from the Letchworth defence

Matt Evans attempts a shot under heavy pressure from the Letchworth defence

(c)Copyright Ian Barrett,2010

Five unanswered goals saw Harpenden continue their upward ascension in East League Division 2S while heaping more misery on basement side Letchworth 2nds.

Harpenden began brightly, quickly dominating possession, but struggled to break down Letchworth’s defence.

After Alistair Barrett had a goal scratched off for hitting the ball outside the D, Russell Timms did break the deadlock, turning in Danny Burgess’ cross.

After the interval, Harpenden upped their work rate and were rewarded with four more goals.

The first was the result of Nick McLean’s tenacity in the circle, dispossessing a Letchworth defender and creating a close range opening for Matt Evans.

Reece Baker-Kiff scored the third with a well-placed drag flick from a short corner.

The fourth saw David Falk dispossess a Letchworth player and then converted a slick passing move, the final through ball provided by Evans.

The scoring concluded just before the final whistle when McLean scored a striker’s goal, helping a Falk through ball over the line.

Harpenden’s next game is a tough match away to Potters Bar.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Herts Advertiser. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Herts Advertiser