Harpenden hang on against nine-man New Bradwell
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town scored a tense 1-0 victory against New Bradwell St Peter on Saturday at Rothamsted Park.
Ben Warren scored the only goal of the game in the 54th minute after New Bradwell were reduced to 10 men just before half-time, one of two red cards for the visitors.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “I am frustrated and disappointed that we didn’t do better against 10 men. At the end of the day three points is a good performance and Charlie Gould was exceptional coming back from injury but we should have beaten them well instead of hanging on.”
Levi Squillace was the man to get his marching orders following a crunching foul on Ben Warren.
The goal followed 10 minutes after the break and it was a family affair. Captain Tom Warren raced down the left and crossed for brother Ben to head the ball into the net.
You may also want to watch:
There followed an agonising 35 minutes as Harpenden desperately defended their slender lead. Harpenden’s goalie Sam Taylor saved numerous corners as New Bradwell attacked.
Gould hit the crossbar and Ed Frost went close then the visitors lost a second man, Daniel Smith, for dissent right at the end.
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 St Albans Band Aid raises £2,200 for local charities
- 3 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 4 National Hospitality Day: 'Per Tutti means everyone is welcome'
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Historic England asks: 'What do you love about your local high street?'
- 7 Farewell Paddington! Time for St Albans stalwart to say his goodbyes
- 8 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 9 Honey to the bee - hiving off new flavours for local gin
- 10 Mission success for Three Peaks Challenge team
This Saturday, Harpenden are at home to Baldock Town.