Harpenden hang on against nine-man New Bradwell
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town scored a tense 1-0 victory against New Bradwell St Peter on Saturday at Rothamsted Park.
Ben Warren scored the only goal of the game in the 54th minute after New Bradwell were reduced to 10 men just before half-time, one of two red cards for the visitors.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “I am frustrated and disappointed that we didn’t do better against 10 men. At the end of the day three points is a good performance and Charlie Gould was exceptional coming back from injury but we should have beaten them well instead of hanging on.”
Levi Squillace was the man to get his marching orders following a crunching foul on Ben Warren.
The goal followed 10 minutes after the break and it was a family affair. Captain Tom Warren raced down the left and crossed for brother Ben to head the ball into the net.
There followed an agonising 35 minutes as Harpenden desperately defended their slender lead. Harpenden’s goalie Sam Taylor saved numerous corners as New Bradwell attacked.
Gould hit the crossbar and Ed Frost went close then the visitors lost a second man, Daniel Smith, for dissent right at the end.
- 1 Sainsbury's comes to St Albans station
- 2 Bowmans Cross development shelved as Hertsmere pulls Local Plan
- 3 Wholefoods shop relocates to offer wider range of produce
- 4 Police hunt wanted man with connections to St Albans
- 5 So why WAS police helicopter flying over St Albans last week?
- 6 Frustration and anger over St Albans school's change to hairstyle and uniform policy
- 7 Comment: Is Aldenham really posher than St Albans and Harpenden?
- 8 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 9 Who was the witch of St Albans?
- 10 What is being done to tackle fly-tipping scourge?
This Saturday, Harpenden are at home to Baldock Town.