Harpenden hang on against nine-man New Bradwell
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Town scored a tense 1-0 victory against New Bradwell St Peter on Saturday at Rothamsted Park.
Ben Warren scored the only goal of the game in the 54th minute after New Bradwell were reduced to 10 men just before half-time, one of two red cards for the visitors.
Manager Danny Plumb said: “I am frustrated and disappointed that we didn’t do better against 10 men. At the end of the day three points is a good performance and Charlie Gould was exceptional coming back from injury but we should have beaten them well instead of hanging on.”
Levi Squillace was the man to get his marching orders following a crunching foul on Ben Warren.
The goal followed 10 minutes after the break and it was a family affair. Captain Tom Warren raced down the left and crossed for brother Ben to head the ball into the net.
You may also want to watch:
There followed an agonising 35 minutes as Harpenden desperately defended their slender lead. Harpenden’s goalie Sam Taylor saved numerous corners as New Bradwell attacked.
Gould hit the crossbar and Ed Frost went close then the visitors lost a second man, Daniel Smith, for dissent right at the end.
- 1 Area Guide: The pretty Hertfordshire village of Sandridge
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 Detective hopes sentence 'sends clear message' after car cruise crash drivers jailed
- 4 Resident accused of 'land-grab' over bid to annexe amenity space
- 5 Pair jailed for causing horror crash that injured 19
- 6 Diamond couple mark anniversary in style
- 7 George Street traders call for permanent pedestrianisation as street closure debate continues
- 8 St Albans woman recognised with Queen's Award
- 9 Football club donates pitch to St Albans primary school
- 10 Take a trip to the seaside for fun adaptation of The Comedy of Errors at the Roman Theatre festival
This Saturday, Harpenden are at home to Baldock Town.