Harpenden go top after beating Rangers
Harpenden Town have stormed three points clear at the top of their league after an impressive 3-1 victory over Bush Hill Rangers on Saturday.
This brings up a top of the table clash with Baldock Town in Rothamsted Park on Saturday, September 27.
Both teams have been swapping top spot all season so this will be a decisive fixture in the Spartan South Midlands League Division One.
Harpenden manager Danny Plumb said: “The players have worked really hard this season and deserve their success.
“I think Bush Hill Rangers were one of the best teams we have played so I was pleased to get three points on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
“It was an entertaining game and a great result.”
Harpenden took the lead against Bush Hill after 28 minutes when a James Yates shot from the edge of the box took a deflection which left the keeper stranded.
- 1 St Albans Fireworks Spectacular returns to Verulamium Park for 2021 display
- 2 Police refuse to prosecute over Smallford Pits destruction
- 3 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 4 Drivers seriously injured after crash at Wheathampstead junction
- 5 'It could have been fatal' - Tractor trailer overturns at London Colney
- 6 St Albans MP Daisy Cooper condemns government for fuel crisis
- 7 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian detached family home in central St Albans
- 8 New vicar comes to Harpenden church
- 9 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 10 Olympian Max Whitlock opens new Harpenden leisure centre
But the opposition struck back just two minutes later when a skillful run by the Bush Hill winger led to a cross which Ali Mustafa headed into an open goal.
Then on 35 minute captain Jack Cartwright got on the end of a Nick Elliot free kick to head home for a 2-1 lead.
In the second half the rain made for a very slippery surface and for much of the half Bush Hill were on top.
Goalkeeper Sam Taylor kept Harpenden in the game with a couple of excellent finger tip saves when fully outstretched as Bush Hill continued to press.
But Harpenden made sure of victory on 85 minutes when Tom Collin headed low into the corner of the net from a free kick for a Harpenden 3-1 victory.
Club chairman Roman Motyczak said: “Harpenden are on a great run and fully deserve to be top of the league. I hope loads of supporters will turn up on Saturday for our top of the table clash with Baldock Town. The players deserve the backing of the town after a superb start to the season.”
Harpenden take on Baldock at 3pm in Rothamsted Park on Saturday September 27.