Harpenden go top after beating Rangers
Harpenden Town have stormed three points clear at the top of their league after an impressive 3-1 victory over Bush Hill Rangers on Saturday.
This brings up a top of the table clash with Baldock Town in Rothamsted Park on Saturday, September 27.
Both teams have been swapping top spot all season so this will be a decisive fixture in the Spartan South Midlands League Division One.
Harpenden manager Danny Plumb said: “The players have worked really hard this season and deserve their success.
“I think Bush Hill Rangers were one of the best teams we have played so I was pleased to get three points on Saturday.
“It was an entertaining game and a great result.”
Harpenden took the lead against Bush Hill after 28 minutes when a James Yates shot from the edge of the box took a deflection which left the keeper stranded.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 3 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 4 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
- 5 Nearly 100 motorway cameras upgraded to catch drivers who flout red X rules
- 6 Harpenden neighbours condemn plans for builders merchant next to residential properties
- 7 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 8 Revealed: Most popular Deliveroo takeaway dishes in St Albans
- 9 Missing 25-year-old last seen in Coreys Mill Lane found in Stevenage
- 10 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
But the opposition struck back just two minutes later when a skillful run by the Bush Hill winger led to a cross which Ali Mustafa headed into an open goal.
Then on 35 minute captain Jack Cartwright got on the end of a Nick Elliot free kick to head home for a 2-1 lead.
In the second half the rain made for a very slippery surface and for much of the half Bush Hill were on top.
Goalkeeper Sam Taylor kept Harpenden in the game with a couple of excellent finger tip saves when fully outstretched as Bush Hill continued to press.
But Harpenden made sure of victory on 85 minutes when Tom Collin headed low into the corner of the net from a free kick for a Harpenden 3-1 victory.
Club chairman Roman Motyczak said: “Harpenden are on a great run and fully deserve to be top of the league. I hope loads of supporters will turn up on Saturday for our top of the table clash with Baldock Town. The players deserve the backing of the town after a superb start to the season.”
Harpenden take on Baldock at 3pm in Rothamsted Park on Saturday September 27.