Harpenden given runaround by big guns from Honourable Artillery Company
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden have been left just above the relegation places in London North West Two after a 50-10 drubbing away to Honourable Artillery Company.
Not for the first time this season, the country boys from Harpenden came up against a physically and technically better London side.
There was no indication of the final result early on as Harpenden got off to a good start, playing attacking rugby with all the skill they could muster.
In fact it was they who scored the first try after 15 minutes when a good kick to touch from a penalty allowed them to win their throw in and from the driving line-out, Sean McLoughlin went over to score.
Harpenden continued in this vein until the 26th minute when HAC kicked a penalty.
You may also want to watch:
Two minutes later HAC scored the first of their tries due in no small part to poor Harpenden tackling.
But at 10-5 down at half-time, Harpenden were still in the game.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
However, HAC started to show their superiority after the break with their faster backs running in at speed.
Mistakes started to happen and the hosts began their run of six second-half tries.
It was not until the 72nd minute that Harpenden got across the try-line again, Fred Gulliford making a clean break from a maul.
The fact that the conversion was missed from in front of the posts just about summed up Harpenden’s disappointing day.
A better performance is now required when London Nigerian come to Redbourn Lane for the next home game on Saturday.