Harpenden fall to defeat against local rivals
HARPENDEN ended the season in disappointing fashion with a heavy defeat against local rivals Welwyn Garden City in HCPCL Division One.
Harpenden won the toss and decided to bowl.
While Joe Peck and Sam Boothby bowled with some hostility it was not until the introduction of John Ryan’s left arm spin that the first wicket fell.
The home side fought hard to restrict the flow of runs. An accomplished 50 from Jamie Southgate and a run-a-ball 44 from Aaron Laraman ably supported Hewitt’s excellent innings of 127 not out allowing WGC to declare on 297.
In reply James Latham was out becoming the first of left-arm spinner Paul Barker’s seven wickets in an excellent spell of 19 overs for 85.
You may also want to watch:
Greg Cooper batted with increasing confidence until out lbw to Barker for 45. With the demise of Ollie Tuck (45) and Jake Pankhurst (23) Harpenden slumped to 180 all out.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 5 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire