Harpenden fall to defeat against local rivals
HARPENDEN ended the season in disappointing fashion with a heavy defeat against local rivals Welwyn Garden City in HCPCL Division One.
Harpenden won the toss and decided to bowl.
While Joe Peck and Sam Boothby bowled with some hostility it was not until the introduction of John Ryan’s left arm spin that the first wicket fell.
The home side fought hard to restrict the flow of runs. An accomplished 50 from Jamie Southgate and a run-a-ball 44 from Aaron Laraman ably supported Hewitt’s excellent innings of 127 not out allowing WGC to declare on 297.
In reply James Latham was out becoming the first of left-arm spinner Paul Barker’s seven wickets in an excellent spell of 19 overs for 85.
You may also want to watch:
Greg Cooper batted with increasing confidence until out lbw to Barker for 45. With the demise of Ollie Tuck (45) and Jake Pankhurst (23) Harpenden slumped to 180 all out.
- 1 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 2 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 3 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 4 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 5 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 6 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall
- 7 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 8 Verulamium splash park closed unexpectedly
- 9 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 10 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser