Harpenden fall to defeat against local rivals
HARPENDEN ended the season in disappointing fashion with a heavy defeat against local rivals Welwyn Garden City in HCPCL Division One.
Harpenden won the toss and decided to bowl.
While Joe Peck and Sam Boothby bowled with some hostility it was not until the introduction of John Ryan’s left arm spin that the first wicket fell.
The home side fought hard to restrict the flow of runs. An accomplished 50 from Jamie Southgate and a run-a-ball 44 from Aaron Laraman ably supported Hewitt’s excellent innings of 127 not out allowing WGC to declare on 297.
In reply James Latham was out becoming the first of left-arm spinner Paul Barker’s seven wickets in an excellent spell of 19 overs for 85.
Greg Cooper batted with increasing confidence until out lbw to Barker for 45. With the demise of Ollie Tuck (45) and Jake Pankhurst (23) Harpenden slumped to 180 all out.
- 1 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 2 St Albans restaurant wins big in Curry Oscars
- 3 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
- 4 Property Spotlight: A stunning pub conversion in central St Albans
- 5 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 6 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 7 Where and when can you see Santa's float in St Albans?
- 8 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 9 Hit and run on deadly Redbourn Road
- 10 When to see The Geminids - one of the best meteor showers of the year