Harpenden fall at first Twenty20 hurdle
- Credit: Archant
HARPENDEN fell at the first hurdle in the HCPCL Twenty20 tournament, falling 27 runs short of their target.
Having elected to bowl, Harpenden saw Sawbridgeworth pass the 50-run mark before making any inroads. Jack Doyle (3-26) took the first three wickets of the game – Rob Sanders (24), Charlie Rudkin (21) and Dean Chisnall (7) – leaving the visitors at 74-3.
Michael Burrell (24) and Tom Waring (20) pushed the score on but after their dismissals at 129-5 Sawbridgeworth’s tail end only managed six runs before their allotted overs came to an end.
In reply Gregg Cooper (42) and James Latham (20) put on a 65-run partnership for the first wicket. However, when Latham was bowled by Ben Waring it opened the flood gates and three more wickets fell quickly.
The dismissal of Oliver Tuck (0) after just two balls from Waring started the flurry. Jack Doyle (2) was next, caught by Paul Billings off Matt Birch’s bowling. Then Cooper’s innings came to an end, Billings this time providing the delivery that was caught by Chris Bird.
Tom Stewart (11) added some quickfire runs but Harpenden failed to surpass the target and were knocked out in the first round of the competition.
Final score: Harpenden (108-7) lost to Sawbridgeworth (135-8) by 27 runs.
- 1 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 2 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 3 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 4 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 5 Success for Harpenden actor after National Youth Theatre audition
- 6 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 7 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 8 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 9 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 10 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
Harpenden get their league campaign underway on Saturday against Potters Bar on the Common, 11am start.