Harpenden edge Batchwood in round one of Jones Cup
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Bowling Club took victory from Batchwood Hall by one shot in the first round of the Jones Cup.
The away team was Barrie Hills, John Thomson, John Millins and Jack Blissett and the home team was Rob Newby, Alan Bostock, Gordon Burrow and Ken Murray. Harpenden take on North Mymms in the next round.
After a very tight game, Harpenden beat Berkhamsted in the quarter-final of the Tony Allcock Trophy by 36 shots to 32. One rink had a very tight game throughout but pulled ahead to win by six shots at 21 ends. The teams were Tony Redford, Woody Donoghue, Lesley Tutt and Janet Hubball and David Brooks, Linda Brooks Jan Holland and Noel Roberts.
Harpenden had a successful District League game against Townsend on Wednesday, winning on three rinks out of four, earning them 65 points. The top rink was Hills, Eamon Roberts, Mike Barnes and Chris Poulter.
Tom Muir is through to county semi final in the of the men’s two wood singles. Muir and Kevin Brazier won their fourth round of the county pairs competition earlier in the week.
You may also want to watch:
Roberts won his county singles second round tie against Gordon Price at Shire Park, 21-8.
The club had a very enjoyable internal triples Barlow–Redford competition on Sunday. Ten teams took part, with Redford, Roberts and June Gauntlett booking a spot in the final alongside Ishbel McDonald, Tim Dale and Doug Hall.
- 1 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 2 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 3 650 homes proposed for Harpenden golf club site
- 4 From Bethlehem to Nazareth - St Albans walkers' pilgrimage fundraiser
- 5 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 6 Police urged to increase patrols in Verulamium Park following gang attack
- 7 Area Guide: The affluent Hertfordshire town of Harpenden
- 8 Could Aldi be coming to Harpenden?
- 9 Teen gang attacks boy in Verulamium Park
- 10 Harpenden man charged after journalist chased through Whitehall