Battling Harpenden dig deep to see off challenge of old rivals Hampstead
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden had to dig deep to clinch a 29-14 win over a resilient Hampstead side.
The two old-time rivals produced another hard fought and competitive fixture and it was only a fifth try in the closing stages that secured the Harpenden win.
The visitors took the lead on six minutes but Pete Sims, Fred Gulliford and Al Whittaker and two conversions from Tom Sweeney ensured Harpenden turned round 19-7 in front.
That advantage grew even further in the second minute after the break when Nick Childs collected his own kick ahead to secure the bonus point.
However, they then failed to build on the momentum as Hampstead came back strongly and the Londoners were duly rewarded with a try on 65 minutes from Alex Brooks.
You may also want to watch:
Some desperate Harpenden defence prevented a third Hampstead score and they were able to breathe a sigh of relief when Tom Rolfe dotted down three minutes from time.
Harps skipper Oli Lacey said: “This was a really mature performance because Hampstead turned up in a way that we did not expect.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
“We had to reset our game, slow things down and really fight to win control. I’m particularly pleased as we were forced to make a number of changes to the squad during the week and bring in four players for their debuts.”
Harpenden travel to Norwich of London Two North East on Saturday for the second round of the London & South East Intermediate Cup.