Harpenden compete in area final for the first time
Harpenden Bowling Club broke new ground when its men progressed to the area final of the national two fours.
Against a very strong team from Barton-le-Clay, Townsend were holding their own until a late surge saw them downed by 44 shots to 36. Townsend’s teams were Rob Newby, Ken Murray, John Osborn and Tom Muir leading and Noel Roberts, Kevin Brazier, Tony Redford and Nick Muir.
Noel Roberts, Eamon Roberts and Doug Hall beat Shire Park 22-7 in the quarter-final of the two wood triples, taking them into the last four which will be played on a neutral Green
Cynthia Williams, Diana Davies and Lesley Tutt beat Oak Hill 16-10 in the District triples, while Dena Roberts, Janet Hubball and Jan Holland also had a good win against a team from Potters Bar.
Colin Driscoll and Rick Catchpole beat a Townsend pair 27-5 in the quarter-final of the district pairs, while Barrie Hills and Doug Hall lost their fourth round match against Harperbury 25-17.
You may also want to watch:
The Centenary Cup between Dunstable, Tring and Harpenden saw a close result between the clubs. The away teams at Tring won on both rinks and on one of the two at Dunstable. The home teams, however, were not so successful and Dunstable again won the cup.
- 1 Major snack brands relocate to St Albans from London
- 2 Herts county council admits too much rubbish means recycling being dumped in landfill
- 3 St Albans house prices hit record high
- 4 Council loses appeal over St Peter's Street development scheme
- 5 Nothing to hide! How I became a convert to naturism
- 6 Hertfordshire's most expensive homes 2020
- 7 11 things you might not know about St Albans' new Mayor
- 8 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 9 St Albans Folk Festival 2021 to go ahead this weekend
- 10 School buzzing about new Forest School and Hive building