Harpenden compete in area final for the first time
Harpenden Bowling Club broke new ground when its men progressed to the area final of the national two fours.
Against a very strong team from Barton-le-Clay, Townsend were holding their own until a late surge saw them downed by 44 shots to 36. Townsend’s teams were Rob Newby, Ken Murray, John Osborn and Tom Muir leading and Noel Roberts, Kevin Brazier, Tony Redford and Nick Muir.
Noel Roberts, Eamon Roberts and Doug Hall beat Shire Park 22-7 in the quarter-final of the two wood triples, taking them into the last four which will be played on a neutral Green
Cynthia Williams, Diana Davies and Lesley Tutt beat Oak Hill 16-10 in the District triples, while Dena Roberts, Janet Hubball and Jan Holland also had a good win against a team from Potters Bar.
Colin Driscoll and Rick Catchpole beat a Townsend pair 27-5 in the quarter-final of the district pairs, while Barrie Hills and Doug Hall lost their fourth round match against Harperbury 25-17.
You may also want to watch:
The Centenary Cup between Dunstable, Tring and Harpenden saw a close result between the clubs. The away teams at Tring won on both rinks and on one of the two at Dunstable. The home teams, however, were not so successful and Dunstable again won the cup.
- 1 Traffic chaos caused by Redbourn Road works
- 2 Shortages crisis hits district
- 3 St Albans mum tells son's story in new book
- 4 Picture special: Pub in the Park returns to St Albans
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most expensive villages
- 6 Property Spotlight: A £2m family home on one of Harpenden's most desirable roads
- 7 Phantoms of the railway - the ghost lines of Welwyn and Harpenden
- 8 Neighbouring councils reject Bowmans Cross development
- 9 St Albans school adopts new wellbeing app
- 10 St Albans activist joins protest blocking M25