Harpenden Colts U16 Blues claim league title with thrilling display
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Colts U16 Blues produced a stunning second-half display against Cassiobury Rangers to clinch the West Herts Youth League Division Two title.
It was 0-0 at half-time against their championship rivals but a thrilling display of counter-attacking football brought a 4-0 victory.
Fine goalkeeping, brave blocks were the main features of the game and it meant the Colts finished with 52 points from 22 games.
In total they won 16, drew four and lost just two, scoring 60 goals along the way.
They also produced 10 clean sheets, an impressive feat in youth football, and as with most title-winning teams the foundation was a very strong defence.
A spokesman for the club said: “We rotated the 19 squad members during their campaign with the objective of giving all players equal playing time. Winning the league was a magnificent achievement for both the boys and their dedicated coaches.”
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 3 The Hairy Bikers set to ride into St Albans for this year's Pub in the Park festival
- 4 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 5 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 6 Party leaders at odds over latest delay to St Albans Local Plan
- 7 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 8 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 9 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 10 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped