Harpenden Colts U16 Blues claim league title with thrilling display
- Credit: Archant
Harpenden Colts U16 Blues produced a stunning second-half display against Cassiobury Rangers to clinch the West Herts Youth League Division Two title.
It was 0-0 at half-time against their championship rivals but a thrilling display of counter-attacking football brought a 4-0 victory.
Fine goalkeeping, brave blocks were the main features of the game and it meant the Colts finished with 52 points from 22 games.
In total they won 16, drew four and lost just two, scoring 60 goals along the way.
They also produced 10 clean sheets, an impressive feat in youth football, and as with most title-winning teams the foundation was a very strong defence.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the club said: “We rotated the 19 squad members during their campaign with the objective of giving all players equal playing time. Winning the league was a magnificent achievement for both the boys and their dedicated coaches.”
- 1 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 2 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 3 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 4 11 of St Albans' prettiest streets
- 5 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters
- 6 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 7 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 8 Urgent care hub to be created at St Albans City Hospital
- 9 An old friend returns after 30 years
- 10 Foodies lap up tastes of Harpenden